Friday, July 23, 2010

and it's goodbye time.

Camp is over... can you believe it?

Today was our graduation day for the girls and some of their families came.
They did the dances we have taught and showed off their tae kwon do. We all broke some wood! We summer missionaries sang some songs for them (Justin Bieber, of course - we sang "baby, baby, baby, ooooooh" to them and they all got up and danced with us - fun fun fun) and Kendall and Lauren did a rap for them- very funny. Then we handed out their certificates to them, their families all ate lunch and they headed out.

I don't know how else to say it other than I have just been kind of sad all day. It hit me while watching them do their dances that everything we worked at this summer has come to today, and it is all over. Watching the girls dance and listening to the words to the song "I Wish," which one of the dances was to just really brought me to tears. I'll post them. It really is our prayer for these girls

I wish I could paint your world so beautifulI wish I could make it rightBut of all the things I could ever wish for youI wish this more than life
Love the Lord with all your heartWith all your soulYour mind and strength
If I could give you back your innocenceAnd if I could turn back timeIf I could heal you of all the broken promisesStill the greatest thing in life
is love the Lord with all your heartWith all your soulYour mind and strength...
I was just watching them dance and praying for them... that God will protect them in the midst of the homes that many of them live in, with drugs and violence and abuse. I love these girls... and my heart is heavy that I won't see them anymore. But I also know that practically I am pretty exhausted and many more weeks of this would be so difficult. New Orleans, you have become a home to me. I only have a few more days this time, but I will be back! Now is time to take advantage of the time I have left with these wonderful ladies!


No comments:

Post a Comment