Saturday, May 29, 2010

ESL and not much more

Let me tell you, I have been feeling so incredible blessed lately. Like, the Lord’s grace is just so overwhelming.

I got up at 7 this morning with one of the other girls here and we went to teach ESL with a couple of the staffers. They do that every Saturday morning at the Omni Hotel about a mile down the road.

We were walking down the streets and I’m looking around and it is beautiful (in most parts). And the Holy Spirit really just hit me and I feel so undeserving to be here, in New Orleans for the summer, working with the people I’m working with, and about to fall in love with some girls that I get to hang out with and share the gospel with for two months.
And I absolutely deserve none of it.
And then in the larger scheme of things, I think of my family and my friends and my boyfriend, and the Lord has shown me so much grace in my life. And once again, I have done absolutely nothing to deserve it. And it is so overwhelming. And I start a lot of sentences with and. And I’m an English major.

But seriously, I serve such an amazing God to give me so much and I am nothing, you know?

So I helped with ESL this morning and they have two students right now, both who work at the hotel. One is Mariosa, and she does housekeeping, and Sandor (who has the coolest name of all time) and he is 72! … he does maintenance at the hotel. I worked with Sandor… he’ll be 72 Monday and he is still working AND gets up every Saturday to learn English.

Can I just tell you how much I LOVED it… we are supposed to trade off and go different weeks but I asked her if I could go every week. I just loved Sandor so much, and he was so super nice and they both just gave hugs and he kept asking me if I would keep coming and stuff. It was so great. So worth early Saturday mornings.

And once again – the grace of God is so good… what have I done to get to hang out with these people and love them and teach English (and learn Spanish in the process…), you know? I’m so overwhelmed by what he has given me.

Gosh! Good morning.

After taking a nap and such, we had a super chill day. Got lunch made, did some planning, made another afternoon coffee trip to Rose Nicauld’s (I will become a regular, I assure you…), came back and chilled with the girls (who are becoming very good friends), put together some BBQ sandwiches and cheese dip (courtesy of Nealy) for dinner, watched the Princess and the Frog and now I’m heading to bed soon because it’s gonna be an early morning (like 6 early) for church tomorrow.

I gotta learn to shorten these. I’m just so excited!

Annnnnnnnd goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts. The grace of God can be so overwhelming. And I am very excited to see it more and more over the next two months w/you.

    ReplyDelete